More Linux Crap
Note: the fact that .Xdefauts doesn't work is due to the fact that the file has been renamed .Xresources.
I tried installing Red Hat 9 onto my Vaio SRX87 this week. The install program did see my hard drive and firewire CD-Rom. I repartitioned and installed. Everything worked great, except for:
- modem. I need to search for linmodem drivers
- wireless. It was not auto detected, as far as I can tell. Maybe there's a simple workaround.
- plug and play usb keyboard and mouse.
- The usb-uhci kernal modult keeps giving error messages.
- No way to adjust display brightness to save battery life.
- No Hibernation.
- Some other instabilities, possibly due to usb-uhci errors
These are all possible show stoppers. So I wiped the hard drive and reallocated 9 Gb for windows and 11 Gb for linux partitions. Now it's a dual boot system.
It's a great computer, but Sony needs to get behind OSS.
My next project is to upgrade the ups server/workstation.
I have an exam friday evening at 6:30. Can you believe that?