I've got an ancient computer monitor from 1999. It's a 19" CRT that takes up a large amount of space on my desk. I'm thinking of buying a new LCD monitor. I'd want something with at least the same amount of screen area.
What is state of the art these days?
1) Image quality for games and movies. What kind of response time do I need?
2) Should I go for 1440x900 or 1280x1024? Which is best for productivity? For movies, the wide screen makes more sense.
3) How long should I expect a good LCD screen to last?
4) Is an analog connection good enough? How much does a DVI connection improve things? Is it worth the extra moneys?
5) How much should I expect to spend?